Click for Bookshop

Dunino

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2016.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Dunino or Denino, a hamlet and a parish in the E of Fife. The hamlet lies between Cameron and Chesters Burns, 4½ miles SSE of St Andrews, under which it has a post office. The parish is bounded N and NE by St Andrews, E by St Leonards, SE by Crail, S and SW by Carnbee, and W by Cameron. Irregular in outline, it has an utmost length from N to S of 3 miles, an utmost width from E to W of 2 miles, and an area of 2737½ acres, of which 22¾ lie detached. The surface is drained by Cameron, Wakefield, and Chesters Burns, whose waters unite in the NE corner of the parish, to flow as Kenly Burn toward the sea; and takes a general south-westward rise, from less than 200 to over 500 feet above sea-level. The rocks belong chiefly to the Carboniferous formation, and coal was at one time extensively mined. Ironstone is not rare, having once been collected from the side of one of the brooks to the amount of 40 tons; and sandstone of excellent quality is abundant, but has not been much quarried. The soil in some parts is clayey, in others sandy. About 100 acres are under wood. Pittairthie Castle, a roofless ruin in the SW of the parish, is partly very ancient, partly a structure of 1653; and in its oldest portion consists of a large square tower, with vaults beneath. Stravithie Castle, another baronial fortalice, a little to the NW of the hamlet, stood entire about the year 1710, but now has left no traces. Draffan Castle, too, supposed to have been built by the Danes, has completely disappeared. An ancient nunnery stood on the highest ground in the parish, whence its ruins were removed in 1815. Three stones, by Chesters Burn, 100 yards W of the church, are supposed to have been part of an ancient Caledonian stone circle. The Rev. Charles Rogers, LL.D., antiquary, was born at the manse in 1825; and Wm. Tennant, author of Anster Fair, was parish schoolmaster (1813-16). Dunino is in the presbytery of St Andrews and synod of Fife; the living is worth £300. The parish church, a Gothic building of 1826, contains 230 sittings; and a public school, with accommodation for 92 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 79, and a- grant of £53, 11s. Valuation (1882) £4213, 18s. 7d. Pop. (1801) 326, (1831) 383, (1861) 370, (1871) 325, (1881) 415.—Ord. Sur., sh. 41, 1857.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better