A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer
of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and
Historical, edited by
Francis H. Groome
and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works,
Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.
This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland,
It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text
freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation.
If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave
£5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining.
Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give
what you can.
Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts
of this entry
lairlogie, a village in the Perthshire section of Logie parish, at the mouth of Glendevon and at the base of Dumyat (1375 feet), 3 miles ENE of Stirling. It is a pleasant little place, remarkably healthy; and, till eclipsed by Bridge of Allan, was long a favourite summer resort of invalids. It has a post office under Stirling and a U.P. church and manse. Blairlogie Castle, now a farmhouse, a little NW of the village, dates from the year 1513, was the seat of the Spittal family, and retains some vestiges of bygone splendour. Pop. (1881) 94.
An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is
Note: This text has been made available
using a process of scanning and
optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical
errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from
the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be
different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original
text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity.
This information is provided subject to our