Parish of Dryfesdale

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Dryfesdale
1834-45: Dryfesdale

Dryfesdale (popularly -Drysdale), a parish in the middle of Annandale, Dumfriesshire, containing in the S the village of Bengall, and towards the centre the town of Lockerbie, whose station on the main line of the Caledonian is 25¾ miles NW of Carlisle, and 75¼ S by W of Edinburgh. It is bounded N and NE by Applegarth, E by Hutton, SE by Tundergarth, S by St Mungo, SW by Dalton, and W by Lochmaben. Its utmost length, from NNE to SSW, is 7¼ miles; its breadth, from E to W, varies between 1 mile and 47/8 miles; and its area is 10,372 acres, of which 140¾ are water. From below Applegarth church to just below Daltonhook the Annan winds 9 miles south-by-eastward, tracing, roughly or closely, the Lochmaben and Dalton boundaries; and Dryfe Water, its affluent, flows 4 miles south-westward on the Applegarth border and through the north-western interior. Along the Hutton border Corrie Water runs 13/8 mile southward to the Water of Milk, which itself meanders 2¾ miles south-westward along all the Tundergarth boundary. In the flat S, the surface, where the Annan quits this parish, sinks to less than 140 feet above sea-level, thence rising north-north-eastward to 234 feet at Bengall Hill, 391 near Lockerbie Hill, 733 at Whitewoollen Hill, 708 at Sloda Hill, 734 at Crofthead Hill, and 774 on Newfield Moor-heights that command a very extensive view. The rocks of the hills are eruptive and Silurian; those of the plains include a very soft sandstone and a dark-coloured limestone. The soil, on most of the hills, is rich enough to be arable; on much of the low flat grounds, is light and dry; and along the streams, is deep, fertile, alluvial loam. About 350 acres are pastoral or waste, 250 are under wood, and all the rest of the land is either regularly or occasionally in tillage. Vestiges of strong old towers are at Netherplace, Old Walls, Kirkton Mains, Myrehead, and Daltonhook. Remains of eight camps, some square or Roman, others circular or Caledonian, occur in different places, chiefly on eminences; and two of them, Roman and Caledonian, confront each other on hills to the NE of Bengall village. Traces exist, too, of a Roman road, running northward from England by way of Brunswark Hill, and sending off a westward branch to Nithsdale. Mansions are Lockerbie House and Dryfeholm; and 6 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 15 of between £100 and £500,15 of from £50 to £100, and 35 of from £20 to £50. Dryfesdale is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of

Dumfries; the living is worth £222. The churches are all at Lockerbie, where Dryfesdale public school, a Gothic building erected in 1875 at a cost of £4500, with accommodation for 600 children, had (1880)-an average attendance of 407, and a grant of £323,18s. Valuation (1860) £10,881, (1882) £18,833,2s. 6d. Pop. (1801) 1893, (1831) 2283, (1861) 2509, (187l) 2825, (1881) 2971.—Ord. Sur., sh. 10,1864.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better