Parish of Kinellar

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Kinellar
1834-45: Kinellar

Kinellar, a parish of SE Aberdeenshire, containing, at its NE corner, Kinaldie station on the Great North of Scotland railway, 2¾ miles ESE of Kintore Junction, and 10½ NW of Aberdeen, under which, 1¾ mile to the S, there is a post office of Blackburn. It is bounded N by Fintray, E by Dyce and Newhills, SE and SW by Skene, and NW by Kintore. Its utmost length, from N to S, is 4 3/8 miles; its breadth, from E to W, varies between 1 and 2 3/8 miles; and its area is 4227½ acres, of which 10½ are water. The Don winds 2 miles east-by-northward along all the northern boundary; and, in the NE, where it quits the parish, the surface declines to 135 feet above sea-level, thence rising south-south-westward to 500 feet near Woodhill Cottage, a d 610 at the Drum Stone. Granite is the predominant rock; and the soil is alluvial along the Don, loamy or gravelly on the lower knolls and hill slopes, but generally of fair fertility. A heathy common, partly broken up in 1840, is on the NW border; a patch or two of rocky moor occurs in other parts; and, with the exception of a small proportion of planted ground, all the rest of the land is regularly or occasionally in tillage. Antiquities are numerous tumuli on the north-western common, remnants of an ancient Caledonian stone circle in the churchyard, the ' Assembly Cairn ' of Auchronie, and the ' Drum Stone ' on Upper Auquhorsk farm, on which ' the much renounit laird of Drum ' is said to have sat and made his testament on his way to the battle of Harlaw (1411). Mansions are Tertowie, Kinellar Lodge, Kinaldie, and Glasgoego; and 3 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 4 of between £100 and £500, and 5 of from £20 to £50. Kinellar is in the presbytery and synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £201. The parish church, 15/8 mile SSW of Kinaldie station, was built in 1801, and contains 250 sittings. The public school, with accommodation for 106 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 61, and a grant of £47, 12s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £4308, (1882) £5090, 16s. 6d., plus £267 for railway. Pop. (1801) 309, (1831) 449, (1861) 691, (1871) 601, (1881) 580.—Ord. Sur., shs. 77, 76, 1873-74.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better