Parish of Tough

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Tough
1834-45: Tough

Tough, a parish in Alford district, Aberdeenshire, at its northern boundary containing Whitehouse station, 2¾ miles ESE of Alford terminus, and 26½ WNW of Aberdeen, under which it has a post and railway telegraph office. It is bounded N by Keig, E by Monymusk, SE by Cluny and by Kincardine O'Neil, S by Lumphanan, W by Leochel-Cushnie, and NW by Alford. Its utmost length, from NNE to SSW, is 6½ miles; its utmost breadth is 35/8 miles; and its area is 71121/6 acres, of which 4 are water. The drainage is carried northward towards the Don; and at Whitehouse station the surface declines to 450 feet above sea-level, thence rising to 1306 feet at Green Hill on the Monymusk boundary, and 1621 at Corrennie or Benaquhallie on the Kincardine O'Neil boundary. Red and blue granites and gneiss are the predominant rocks; and hard claystone porphyry and magnesian limestone also occur. The soil, in most places light, in several shallow and stony, is here and there mixed with moss, but very deep and fertile. Less than one-half of the entire area is in tillage; some 1100 acres are under wood; and the rest of the land is either pastoral or waste. Antiquities are two or three cairns, several stone circles, an assemblage of standing-stones and small tumuli, and a standing-stone 12½ feet high and 9½ in circumference, traditionally alleged to mark the grave of Lulach or Luath, the son of Lady Macbeth. The plain farmhouse of Tillyfour, 3½ miles SSW of Whitehouse station, was the home of the 'king of Graziers,' William M 'Combie, Esq. (1805-80), whose matchless herd of polled Angus or Aberdeen cattle procured him the honour of a visit from the Queen in 1866, and who sat for West Aberdeenshire in the Liberal interest from 1868 till 1876, being the first tenantfarmer returned in Scotland. In Feb. 1883 the Tillyfour estate, of 1900 acres (1195 arable, 400 hill-pasture, and 305 wood), was sold for £23,000 to Henry Begg, Esq. of Lochnagar Distillery. Tonley House, a large old mansion, ½ mile NNW of the church, is the seat of George Moir- Byres, Esq. (b. 1813; suc. 1881), who holds 4623 acres in the shire, valued at £3527 per annum. Two more mansions are Whitehouse, standing high, to the SE of the station; and Tullochvenus, in the extreme S, 3 miles N of Lumphanan station. Two proprietors hold each an annual value of more, 2 of less, than £500. Tough is in the presbytery of Alford and the synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £190. The parish church, 1½ mile S by W of Whitehouse station, was built in 1838, and contains 550 sittings. A new public school, opened on 2 April 1884, with accommodation for 120 children, had (1885) an average attendance of 75, and a grant of £. Valuation (1860) £3233, (1885) £5564, plus £511 for railway. Pop. (1801) 629, (1831) 828, (1861) 874, (1871) 760, (1881) 681.—Ord. Sur., sh. 76,

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better