Parish of Dunkeld and Dowally

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Dowally (Appendix)
1791-99: Dowally
1834-45: Dunkeld

Dunkeld and Dowally, a Strathtay united parish of central Perthshire, containing the villages of Dowally and Kindallachan, and also part of the town of Dunkeld, which part, however, lies detached from the main body, a little to the SE. Bounded N by Logierait, E by Clunie and Caputh, and S and W by Little Dunkeld, it has an utmost length from N to S of 61/4 miles, a varying breadth from E to W of ¾ mile and 41/8 miles, and an area of 9825½ acres, of which only 181/6 belong to the Dunkeld portion. The remaining 9807½ acres belonging to Dowally include 369 of water, and comprise a detached section, the barony of Dalcapon, which, lying mainly on the left bank of the Tummel, 1½ mile N of Ballinluig Junction, and surrounded on three sides by Logierait, has a length from SW to NE of 4 miles, with a varying width of 2½ and 7 furlongs. The Tay flows 6½ miles south-south-eastward along all the boundary with Little Dunkeld, and receives Kindallachan and Dowally Burns from the interior. In the interior, too, are Loch Ordie (5 x 31/3 furl.), Lochan na Beinne (1½ x ¾ furl.), St Colme's Loch (2 x 1 furl.), and Dowally Loch (1¾ x ¾ furl.), whilst at the meeting-point of Logierait, Moulin, and the Dalcapon section lies Loch Broom (5½ x 2 furl.). Along the Tay the surface declines to less than 200 feet above sea-level, thence rising eastward to 1440 feet near Lochan na Beinne and 1622 at Chapel Hill. Dorothy Wordsworth has left us her impression of this parish, through which she drove with her brother on 8 Sept. 1804: - `We travelled down the Tummel till it is lost in the Tay, and then, in the same direction, continued our course along the vale of the Tay, which is very wide for a considerable way, but gradually narrows, and the river, always a fine stream, assumes more dignity and importance. Two or three miles before we reached Dunkeld, we observed whole hill-sides, the property of the Duke of Athole, planted with fir trees till they are lost among the rocks near the tops of the hills. In forty or fifty years these plantations will be very fine,-a prediction abundantly verified, woods, mostly of larch, now clothing the entire parish, with the exception of barely one-fortieth in pasture and little more than a tenth under crops. The Queen, too, remarks in her Journal on the beautiful windings of the Tay and the richly-wooded height, rocky and pyramidal, of Craigiebarns. A large white building, St Colme's, 7 furlongs SSE of Dowally and 4 miles NNW of Dunkeld, is the model farm of the Dowager Duchess of Athole; and the Duke of Athole is the sole proprietor. This parish is in the presbytery of Dunkeld and synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £232. The churches are noticed under Dowdily and Dunkeld; and Dowally public, Dunkeld Duchess of Athole's, and Dunkeld Royal schools, with respective accommodation for 107, 135, and 151 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 42, 85, and 58, and grants of £48, 17s., £86, 5s. 6d., and £54, 1s. Valuation (1882) £3356, 10s. 8d. Pop. of parish (1801) 1857, (1831) 2037, (l841) 1752, (1861) 97l, -(1871) 839; of Dunkeld registration district (1871) 881, (1881) 882.—Ord. Sur., shs. 55, 56, 47, 1869-70.

Dunkeld, Little, a Strathtay parish of central Perthshire, containing the villages of Birnam, Inver, Dalguise, and Balnaguard, with the stations of Murthly, Dunkeld, and Dalguise. It is bounded N by Logierait, NE by Dunkeld-Dowally and Caputh, E by Kinclaven, s by Auchtergaven, the Tullybeagles section of Methven, the Logiealmond section of Monzie, and Fowlis Wester, W by Dull and a fragment of Weem. Its utmost length, from N to S, is 111/4 miles; its width varies between 23/8 and 143/8 miles, the latter measured from W by N to E by S, viz., from Loch Fender to the Tay near Murthly station; and its area is 41, 9411/4 acres, of which 8721/3 are water. The Tay sweeps 173/8 miles east-south-eastward, southward, and east-south-eastward again, along all the boundary with Logierait, Dunkeld-Dowally, and Caputh; its affluent, the Bran, from 9 furlongs below its exit from Loch Freuchie, winds 121/4 miles east-north-eastward, partly along the southern border, but mainly through the interior. Loch Skiach (6 x 31/3 furl.) and Little Loch Skiach (21/4 x 1½ furl.) lie towards the middle of the parish; and on its western border are Lochs Creagh (12/3 x ¾ furl.) and Fender (2¾ x 2 furl.). In the furthest E the surface sinks along the Tay to less than 200 feet above sea-level, thence rising westward and north-westward to Kingswood (451 feet), Birnam Hill (1324), Little Trochrie Hill (1199), Creag Liath (1399), Airlich (1026), Meikle Crochan (1915), Craig Vinean (1247), Druim Mor (1203), Meall Mor (1512), Craig Hulich (1809), Meall Dearg (2258), Creag Mhor (1612), Creag an Eunaich (1506), Meall Reamhar (1659), Elrick More (1693), Craig Lochie (1700), and Creag Maoiseach (1387), where the eleven last are all to the N of the Bran. Roofing-slate, of excellent quality and of a deep-blue hue, has been quarried on Birnam Hill, and fine-grained sandstone near Murthly, while potters-clay occurs in Strathbran. The soil is black loam throughout most of the eastern valley, on the other arable lands is partly black mould, partly a mixture of sand and gravel, and on the hills is very poor. Nearly three-sevenths of the entire area are regularly or occasionally in tillage, less than a fifth is pastoral, about one-thirteenth is under wood, and all the remainder is waste. A considerable though ever lessening number of cairns, stone circles, and hill-forts make up the antiquities, with ` Duncan's Camp ' upon Birnam Hill, the ruins of Trochrie Castle, an old bridge across the Bran a little higher up, and a memorial stone at Ballinloan that arks the meeting-place of feudal courts. In the days of Bishop James Bruce, about the middle of the 15th century, this parish suffered severely from the raids of Robert Reoch Macdonnochie; and at some period unknown to record its church and its clergy would seem to have fared but poorly at the hands of its own parishioners. For-

' Oh! sic a parish, oh! sic a parish!
Oh! sic a parish is Little Dunke'!
They hae hangit the minister. dround the precentor,
Dung doun the steeple, an' fuddl'd the bell.'

Thanks to the beauty of its scenery, Little Dunkeld has any interesting memories of visits from illustrious personages-the poets Gray and Wordsworth, the Queen and Prince Consort, Millais the painter, and others. Perhaps the most interesting of all is that thus noted in Burns's Highland Tour-:` 30 Aug. 1787. Walk with Mrs Stewart and Beard to Birnam top-fine prospect down Tay-Craigiebarns hills-Hermitage on the Bran, with a picture of Ossian-breakfast with Dr Stewart- Neil Gow plays-a short, stout-built, honest, Highland figure, with his greyish hair shed on his honest social brow-an interesting face, marking strong sense, kind open heartedness, mixed with unmistrusting simplicity- visit -his house-Marget Gow.' Neil Gow (1727-1807) was born at Inver; so was his son, Nathaniel (17661831-), who was himself a masterly violinist. The principal mansions are Murthly Castle, Dalguise House, Kinnaird House, Kinloch Lodge, Torwood, St Mary's Tower, and Erigmore; and 6 heritors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 7 feuars of between £100 and £500, 9 of from £50 to £100, and 7 of from £20 to £50. Giving off portions to the quoad sacra parishes of Aulree and Logiealmond, Little Dunkeld is in the presbytery of Dunkeld and synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £358. There are two churches-the one, by the Tay, nearly opposite Dunkeld, built in 1798, and containing 820 sittings; the other, in Strathbran, near Rumbling-Bridge, 3 miles to the WSW, rebuilt in 1851, and containing 250. There is also a Free church of Strathbran and Dalguise, standing near Trochrie, 4 miles WSW of Dunkeld; and the five schools of Drumour, Little Dunkeld, Murthly, Balnaguard, and Dalguise, with respective accommodation for 67, 200, 88, 37, and 56 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 46, 137, 59, 27, and 56, and grants of £37, 14s., £144, 5s. 6d., £57, 11s. 6d., £37, 3s., and £52, 17s. Valuation (1843) £8960, 6s. 10d., (1882) £20, 209, 6s. 11d. Pop. of parish (1801) 2977, (1831) 2867, (1861) 2104, (1871) 2373; of registration district (1871) 2352, (1881) 2149.—Ord. Sur., shs. 47, 48, 55, 1868-69.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better