Click for Bookshop

Parish of Panbride

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2020.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Panbride
1834-45: Panbride

Panbride, a hamlet and a coast parish of SE Forfarshire. The hamlet lies 1¼ mile NNE of the post-town, Carnoustie.

The parish, containing also Muirdrum village and the Newton of Panbride suburb of Carnoustie, with the fishing villages of West Haven and East Haven, is bounded N by Carmyllie, NE by Arbirlot and St Vigeans (detached), SE by the German Ocean, SW by Barry, and W by Monikie. Its utmost length, from NW to SE, is 45/8 miles; its breadth varies between 9 furlongs and 2¾ miles; and its area is 5506 acres, of which 2982/5 are foreshore and 9 water. Monikie Burn, coming in from Monikie parish, runs 4½ miles south-eastward across the interior to the sea between East and West Haven. Its dell, called Battie's Den, is mostly flanked by steep or mural rocky banks, 20 to 50 feet high, and is spanned, at a romantic spot, by a bridge taking over the road from Dundee to Arbroath. Another rivulet, also coming in from Monikie, and traversing a similar dell, runs 2¼ miles east-south-eastward across the northern interior, next 13/8 mile south-south-eastward along the north-eastern boundary, and next 1½ mile through the interior, till it falls into Monikie Burn at a point ¼ mile NE of the parish church. The coast, closely followed for 2¼ miles by the Dundee and Arbroath Joint railway, is low but very rocky, with a pebbly beach, and shows a series of ancient sea-margins some way from the present shore line. The interior presents for the most part a flat appearance, but is diversified by the dells of the rivulets, and rises gently to 300 feet at Pitlivie and 487 at the northern boundary. The predominant rocks are Devonian. Sandstone of excellent quality for masonry is quarried; sandstone, of the slaty kind which yields the Arbroath paving-stone, is comparatively plentiful; and limestone exists, but not abundantly nor of good quality. The soil on the seaboard is sandy; in the central district is clay or loam; and towards the W and N is moorish. Rather more than three-fourths of all the land is arable, and some 600 acres are under wood. The barony of Panbride belonged for several ages to the ancestors of the historian Hector Boece (1465-1536), who himself, however, appears to have been a native of Dundee; whilst the barony of Panmure passed by marriage about 1224 to Sir Peter de Maule, ancestor of the Earl of Dalhousie. Panmure House, noticed separately, is the principal residence; and the Earl is sole proprietor. Panbride is in the presbytery of Arbroath and the synod of Angus and Mearns; the living is worth £335. The parish church, at Panbride hamlet, is a cruciform Gothic edifice of 1851, containing 600 sittings. At the E gable of it is the burial vault of the Earls of Panmure, erected by George, third Earl, in 1681. A Free church was built in 1856; and two public schools, Muirdrum and Panbride, with respective accommodation for 54 and 196 children, had (1883) an average attendance of 53 and 137, and grants of £38, 8s. and £129. Valuation (1857) £7698, (1884) £11,711, 13s., plus £1337 for railway. Pop. (1801) 1588, (1831) 1268, (1861) 1299, (1871) 1331, (1881) 1395, of whom 593 were in Newton of Panbride.—Ord. Sur., sh. 49, 1865.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better