Parish of Portmoak

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2021.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Portmoak
1834-45: Portmoak

Portmoak, a parish of E Kinross-shire, containing Scotlandwell village, 5 miles W of Leslie, and 6¼ (only 41/8 as the crow flies) E by S of Kinross, under which it has a post office. It is bounded SW by Cleish, W by Kinross, Loch Leven, and Orwell, and on all other sides by Fife, viz., N by Strathmiglo, NE by Falkland, E by Leslie and Kinglassie, and S by Auchterarder and Ballingry. Its utmost length, from N to S, is 5 miles; its breadth, from E to W, varies between 7 furlongs and 45/8 miles; and its area is 9957 acres, of which 124 belong to a detached farm near Strathendry, surrounded by Kinglassie and Leslie. Loch Leven, to the extent of 5 miles along its eastern and its southern shore, margins the parish; the river Leven, flowing in an artificial cut from Loch Leven, goes 1¼ mile east-north-eastward across the interior; and Gairney Water, running north-north-eastward into Loch Leven, forms for 1 mile the southern part of the boundary with Kinross. From the shore of Loch Leven (353 feet above sea-level) the surface rises southward to flat-topped Benarty Hill (1167 feet) on the Ballingry border, and eastward to Bishop Hill, which culminates near Kinnesswood village in White Craigs (1492 feet), 15/8 mile ENE of the nearest point of the loch. (See Lomond Hills.) All the parts of the parish not occupied by the two hill ridges and their skirts are narrow hanging plains; and the whole is a rich landscape of fine meadows, fertile fields, thriving plantations, beautiful braes, romantic crags, and picturesque sky-lines, exquisitely mirrored in Loch Leven. Copious springs of pure water are numerous in the north; and three within 400 yards of one another, in the neighbourhood of Scotlandwell, emit as much water as, with a suitable fall, would drive a mill. Eruptive rocks are in the hills, and have been worked; sandstone abounds, but is not quarried; limestone is plentiful, and has been calcined to the amount of 4000 tons of carbonate in the year; and ironstone and coal, the former of excellent quality, were mined a number of years ago. The soil of most of the arable grounds is light, early, and exceedingly fertile. About 350 acres are under wood; three-fourths of the entire area are in tillage; and the rest of the land is nearly all pasture. Kirkness, noticed separately, is the principal residence; and the ruin of an old chapel at Scotlandwell is the only antiquity. Andrew Wyntoun (flo. 1400), the chronicler; John Douglas (d. 1574), the first 'tulchan' Archbishop of St Andrews; and Michael Bruce (1746-67), the poet, were natives of Portmoak; whilst the Rev. Ebenezer Erskine (1680-175 4) was its minister from 1703 till in 1733 he founded the Secession at Gairney Bridge, where a monument was erected to celebrate the event in 1884. Five proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 19 of between £100 and £500. Portmoak is in the presbytery of Kinross and the synod of Fife; the living is worth £350. The parish church, at Scotlandwell, was built in 1839, and contains 730 sittings. Other places of worship are Portmoak Free church and Balgedie U.P. church. The public school, with accommodation for 162 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 134, and a grant of £113, 5s. Valuation (1860) £10, 357, (1882) £11,189. Pop. (1801) 1151, (1831) 1554, (1861) 1450, (1871) 1193, (1881) 1042.—Ord. Sur., sh. 40, 1867.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better