Parish of Lundie

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Lundie and Fowlis
1834-45: Lundie and Fowlis

Lundie, a village and a parish of SW Forfarshire. The village stands 3 miles WSW of Auchterhouse station, 6 ESE of Coupar-Angus, and 9 NW by W of Dundee, under which it has a post office. The parish is bounded N by Newtyle, E by Auchterhouse, S by Fowlis-Easter in Perthshire, and W by Kettins. Its utmost length, from W by N to E by S, is 4 miles; its utmost breadth is 3 miles; and its area is 4296 ¼ acres, of which 1075/6 are water. Of seven lakes, which send off head-streams of Dichty Water, much the largest is Long Loch (5¾ x 2 furl.; 722 feet) in the N, Lundie Loch having been reduced by drainage about the year 1810 to less than a twelfth of its former size. A range of the Sidlaw Hills extends along part of the N and all the W of the parish, whose surface, nowhere sinking much below 500 feet above sea-level, attains 1063 feet near Smithston and 1088 at Keillor Hill on the Kettins boundary. The range divides the head of Strathdighty from the neighbouring part of Strathmore, and gives to all the interior of the parish a sheltered and sequestered aspect. The predominant rocks are trap and common grey sandstone; and the soil is for the most part light, sharp loam. Since 1850 great improvements have been effected in the way of reclaiming, draining, fencing, and building. The Duncans of Lundie, now Earis of Camperdown, have held nearly all the property from 1678 and earlier; and Lundie churchyard is still their burying-place. This parish, since 1618, has formed one charge with the contiguous parish of FowlisEaster in Perthshire. It is in the presbytery of Dundee and the synod of Angus and Mearns; the living is worth £238. A building of considerable antiquity, Lundie church was well repaired about the year 1847, and contains 300 sittings. A public school, with accommodation for 108 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 57, and a grant of £43, 6s. Valuation (1857) £3005, (1884) £4311, 19s. Pop. (1831) 456, (1861) 442, (1871) 400, (1881) 317; of united parish (1801) 693, (1831) 778, (1871) 691, (1881) 628.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better