Click for Bookshop

Parish of Cranston

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2019.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Cranston
1834-45: Cranston

Cranston, a parish on the NE border of Edinburghshire, containing the villages of Cousland, Edgehead, and Ford, the last being ½ mile W by N of Pathhead, and 4¼ miles ESE of Dalkeith, under which it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments. Irregular in outline, Cranston is bounded NW by Inveresk; N by Tranent, and E by Ormiston and Humbie, in Haddingtonshire; SW by Crichton and Borthwick; and W by Newbattle and Dalkeith. Its greatest length, from NNW to SSE, is 47/8 miles; its breadth, from E to W, varies between 3½ furlongs and 31/8 miles; and its area is 5102¾ acres, of which 2¾ are water, and 677½ belong to the Cakemuir section, lying 13/8 mile S of the SE angle of the main body. Tyne Water, here a very small stream, bisects the parish north-north-eastward, running chiefly within the beautiful parks of Oxenford and Prestonhall. Where, below Whitehouse mill, it passes into Ormiston, the surface sinks to 300 feet above sea-level, thence rising north - westward to 500 feet near Airfield and 637 near Mutton Hole, whilst in the Cakemuir section it attains an altitude of over 1000 feet. The formation belongs to the Carboniferous Limestone series; and sandstone, limestone, and coal are largely worked, the last in Edgehead and Prestonhall collieries. About 250 acres are under wood; and nearly all the remaining area, with the exception of rather less than a third of the Cakemuir division, is in a state of high cultivation. Cranston Dean Bridge, over the Tyne, on the southern border, with three semicircular arches, each 17 feet in span and 46 high, is a modern structure; as likewise is Lothian Bridge, also over the Tyne, which, 82 feet high, has five semicircular arches, each 50 feet in span, surmounted by ten segment arches of 54 feet in span and 8 feet of rise. Cakemuir Castle is the chief and almost sole antiquity; the quaint old manse, near Prestonhall, having been demolished forty or fifty years since. A hospice formerly, connected with that of Soutra, it bore the monkish inscription-` Diversorium infra, Habitaculum supra.' To the Cranston family this parish gave the title of Baron in the peerage of Scotland from 1609 till the death of the last and eleventh Lord in 1869. The mansions are Oxenford and Prestonhall, 4 proprietors holding each an annual value of more, and 1 of less, than £500. Cranston is in the presbytery of Dalkeith and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale; the living is worth £372. The parish church, near Ford, the second built within this century, is a good Gothic edifice, with a tower; and at Ford itself is a U.P. church. Two public schools, Cousland and Cranston, with respective accommodation for 93 and 116 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 83 and 113, and grants of £63,6s. and £99,4s. Valuation (1882) £9048, including £19 for a short reach of the Macmerry branch of the North British. Pop. (1801) 895, (1831) 1030, (1861) 1035, (1871) 1036, (1881) 998.—Ord. Sur., shs. 32,33,185763.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better