Parish of Newlands

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Newlands
1834-45: Newlands

Newlands, a parish of N Peeblesshire, containing the hamlet of Romanno Bridge, 31/8 miles SSE of Linton, 43/8 SW of Lamancha station, and 19¾ SSW of Edinburgh. Within it also are Lamancha station and Noblehouse post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, whilst Leadburn and Macbie Hill stations lie just beyond its northern and north-western borders. It is bounded N by Penicuik in Edinburghshire, E by Eddleston, SE by Lyne, S by Stobo, SW by Kirkurd, and NW by Linton. Its utmost length, from NNE to SSW, is 93/8 miles; its breadth varies between ¼ mile (at Leadburn) and 55/8 miles; and its area is 12, 5603/5 acres, of which 42½ are water. The drainage of the northern extremity is belongs to the Tweed, as Lyne Water winds 6¾ miles south-by-eastward, partly along the Linton and Stobo boundaries, but mainly through the interior. During this course it is joined by Dead Burn, flowing 3 miles south-south-westward; Flemington Burn, 4½ miles south-westward; and Tarth Water, 27/8 miles south-eastward along the Kirkurd and Stobo boundary. In the extreme S the surface sinks to 670 feet above sea-level, thence rising to 1234 feet at Drochil Hill, 1221 at Woodhill, 1453 at Drum Maw, and 1570 at Wether Law, from which again it gradually declines to 862 feet at Leadburn station. The rocks in the hills are mainly eruptive; in the upper part of the vale are carboniferous. Sandstone of excellent quality has been largely worked to the W of Lyne Water, as also has limestone on Macbie Hill estate. Common black bituininous coal exists in the upper part of the vale, and fairly rich iron ore occurs in fissures of the higher grounds. There are several chalybeate springs; and artificial ponds are at Whim, Lamancha, and Macbie Hill. The soil of the arable lands is chiefly a clayey loam, incumbent on close stiff till. Nearly one-third of the entire area is regularly or occasionally in tillage; some 350 acres are under wood; and the rest of the land is chiefly disposed in pasture. Antiquities other than Drochil Castle are the Romanno Terrace and remains of circumvallations, popularly called 'Rings,' on Henderland, Borelands, Drochil, Whiteside, and Pendreich Hills. The poet, Dr Alexander Pennicuik (1652-1722), was proprietor of Romanno; the Rev. Charles Findlater (1758-1838), author of the View of the Agrieulture of Peeblesshire, was 48 years minister; and Lord Chief Baron Montgomery (1721-1803) was born at Macbie Hill. Mansions, noticed separately, are Borelands, Callands, Halmyre, Lamancha, Macbie Hill, Romanno, and Whim; and 9 proprietors hold each an annual value of more, 4 of less, than £500. Newlands is in the presbytery of Peebles and the synod of Lothian and Tweeddale; the living is worth £330. The parish church, near the left bank of Lyne Water, 7 furlongs S of Romanno Bridge, is an ugly edifice of 1838. A little way lower down is the beautiful ruin of its ancient predecessor, roofless and ivy-clad, with First Pointed E window and round-headed S doorway. The old graveyard is still in use, and contains a headstone to R. Howeiston (1767-1870). Near Borelands, close to the Linton border, is a U.P. church; and two public schools, Lamancha and Newlands, with respective accommodation for 67 and 90 children, had (1883) an average attendance of 47 and 53, and grants of £33, 13s. 2d. and £46, 13s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £7500, (1884) £9983, 3s. 9d. Pop. (1801) 950, (1831) 1078, (1861) 987, (l871) 851, (1881) 819.—Ord. Sur., sh. 24, 1864.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better