A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Errol, a village and parish in the Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire. The village stands 5 furlongs from the Tay's N bank, and 1¼ mile S of Errol station on the Dundee and Perth section of the Caledonian, which station is 10¼ miles WSW of Dundee and 11½ E of Perth, and near which is Errol post office, with money order, savings' bank, insurance, and railwaytelegraph departments. Crowning a gentle eminence that commands a delightful view, particularly towards the S and W, it is under the superiority of Mrs Molison; serves as a business centre for much of the Carse district; is inhabited mainly by weavers and operatives; and has a post office of its own under Errol, a branch of the Union Bank, 2 chief inns, gas-works, 2 schools, a reading-room and library, and fairs on the last Wednesday of July and the Saturday after the first Friday of October. The parish church, built in 1831 after designs by Gillespie Graham, is a cruciform Norman structure, with a conspicuous square tower, and contains 1450 sittings. There are also a Free church and a U.P. church, the latter containing 751 sittings. Pop. (1841) 1147, (1861) 1086, (1871) 918, (1881) 890. The parish, containing also the village of Leetown, is bounded N by Kinnaird, NE by Inchture, SE and S by the Firth of Tay, W by St Madoes and Kinfauns, and NW by Kilspindie. Its utmost length, from ENE to WSW, is 6 miles; its breadth varies between 1¾ and 3½ miles; and its area is 11,754 acres, of which 2229 are foreshore and 17¾ water. The shore is everywhere flat, nowhere exceeding 20 feet above high water mark; and the eastern interior, to the extent of half of the entire area, is all but a dead level-its highest point Middlebank (89 feet). The western district is more diversified, having several low ridges extending nearly parallel with the Tay, and attaining, near Mains of Errol, a summit altitude of 156 feet. Three or four very sluggish streamlets, locally called pows, rise near or beyond the northern and north-western boundaries, and, winding through the interior, carry the drainage to the Firth of Tay. Fossiliferous sandstone and limestone are the predominant rocks. The sandstone is a good building material, and has been largely quarried at Clashbennie; whilst the limestone, though coarse, was formerly worked at Murie. The soil throughout the flat tracts is carse clay or strong argillaceous loam, on the ridges is blackish earth, and, as a whole, is singularly fertile. Scarcely a rood of land is waste; little more than 200 acres are under wood, including hedgerows; and the rest of the land is so richly cultivated and so beautifully enclosed as well to compensate by its luxuriance of aspect for any absence of the picturesque. Two standing stones are at Clashbennie and near Inchmartin; an ancient artificial mound, the Law-Knoll, rises in Murie Park; and at West-town is a small ruined pre-Reformation chapel. Considerable commerce, both in export and in import, is done at the little harbour of Port Allen. The lands of Errol were granted by William the Lyon (1166-1214) to his butler, William de Haya, whose descendants, the Hays, obtained the hereditary high constableship of Scotland in 1315, and the earldom of Errol in 1452. (See Luncarty and Slains.) By them the estate was sold in 1634, and, after passing through a number of hands, it was purchased in 1872 by the late Francis Molison, Esq., who, at great cost, had restored the old mansion, a three-storied quadrangular pile, 100 by 80 feet, with courtyard in the centre, when, upon 10 Oct. 1874, it was reduced by fire to a mere shell, the damage being estimated at £9000. Since then rebuilt, Errol House is now the seat of his widow, Mrs Molison, who holds 2135 acres in the shire, valued at £7039 per annum. Other mansions, separately noticed, are, Murie House, Megginch Castle, and Gourdiehill; and, in all, 10 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 8 of between £100 and £500, 7 of from £50 to £100, and 13 of from £20 to £50. Errol is in the presbytery of Perth and the synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £397. Pitrodie U.). church, on the NW border, 2¼ miles NW of the village, contains 320 sittings; and Errol public, Glendoick public, and Errol female industrial schools, with respective accommodation for 224, 130, and 147 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 157, 130, and 147, and grants of £112, 4s., £66, 4s., and £70, 2s. Valuation (1860) £20,089, 5s. 6d., (1882) £22, 570, 14s. 11d. Pop. (1801) 2653, (1831) 2992, (1861) 2759, (1871) 2504, (1881) 2421.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better