Southend

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2021.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Southend, a village and a parish at the southern extremity of the peninsula of Kintyre, Argyllshire. The village stands 9½ miles S by W of Campbeltown, under which it has a post and telegraph office. The parish, comprising the ancient parishes of Kilcolmkill and Kilblane, includes the island of Sanda and the adjacent islets, and has been called Southend since the Reformation. It is bounded N by the parish of Campbeltown, and on all other sides by the sea. Its utmost length, from E to W, is 10¾ miles; its breadth, from N to S, varies between 2 7/8 and 6 1/8 miles; and its area is 31,160 acres, of which 277½ are foreshore and 81½ water. The coast, 20½ miles in extent, is slightly indented by three or four little baylets capable of affording anchorage to vessels, and terminates on the SW in the bold broad promontory of the Mull of Kintyre. It is chiefly sandy in the E, but high, bold, and very rocky in the W, and in its high bold parts abounds with caves, and presents a striking appearance as seen from the sea. The interior exhibits a picturesque variety of heights and hollows, pastoral hills and arable vales, low grounds and heathy eminences. Chief elevations, from E to W, are Kerran Hill (775 feet), Tod Hill (610), Cnoc Mor (399), *Cnoc Odhar (907), Beinn na Lice (1405), and *Cnoc Moy (1462), where asterisks mark those summits that culminate on the northern border. The last, Cnoc Moy, commands a magnificent panoramic view. Two brooks, Conieglen Water and the Breackerie Water, which drain the surface southward to the sea, are subject to sudden inundating freshets, and sometimes cut out for themselves reaches of new channel. Mica slate, trap, Old Red Sandstone, and limestone are the principal rocks; and the trap has been quarried for masonry, the limestone worked for manure. The soil on the eastern seaboard is a light loam mixed with sand or gravel; that on the slopes of the hills is mostly a light gravel incumbent on till. The proportion of arable land to pasture is nearly as 1 to 15. Antiquities, other than that noticed under Dunaverty Castle, are remains of Scandinavian forts, some ancient standing-stones, and ruins or vestiges of three pre-Reformation chapels. Mansions, noticed separately, are Carskey and Keir; and the Duke of Argyll owns nearly five-sixths of the entire rental, 2 others holding each an annual value of more, and 2 of less, than £500. Southend is in the presbytery of Kintyre and the synod of Argyll; the living is worth £232. The parish church was built in 1774, and contains 600 sittings. A U.P. church, originally Relief, was built in 1798. Two public schools, Glenbreackerie and Southend, with respective accommodation for 45 and 161 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 35 and 72, and grants of £29, 11s. 6d. and £63, 13s. Valuation (1860) £10, 291, (1885) £14, 010, 8s. Pop. (1801) 1825, (1831) 2120, (1861) 1214, (1871) 1044, (1881) 955, of whom 121 were Gaelic-speaking.—Ord. Sur., sh. 12, 1872.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better