Click for Bookshop

Methlick

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2020.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Methlick, a village and a parish of Aberdeenshire. The village stands, 87 feet above sea-level, on the right bank of the river Ythan, 5 miles W by N of Arnage station, 6¾ E by S of Fyvie, and 8½ NW of Ellon. It has a post and telegraph office under Aberdeen, branches of the North of Scotland and the Aberdeen Town and County Banks, a Temperance Institute, with reading and recreation rooms, and fairs on the Thursday after 11 May and the Wednesday after 18 Nov. The parish is bounded N and NE by New Deer, E and S by Tarves, and W by Fyvie and Monquhitter. Its utmost length, from N to S, is 7¼ miles; its utmost breadth, from E to W, is 4¾ miles; and its area is 14,912¾ acres, of which 70½ are water, and 8811/8 belong -to a small triangular detached portion surrounded by Ellon and Tarves. In the main body of the parish the Ythan flows 23/8 miles east-north-eastward along the Fyvie boundary, 37/8 miles south-eastward through the interior, and 1¼ mile south-eastward along the Tarves boundary; 1½ furlong lower down it continues 2 miles south-eastward along all the south-western border of the detached portion, whose eastern boundary is traced by Ebrie Burn. At the Ebrie's and Ythan's confluence the surface declines to 38 feet above sea-level, and thence it rises gently to 409 near Cairn in the south-western division of the main body, and in the north-eastern to 485 at Skillmanae Hill and 579 at Belnagoak. The tract along the Ythan is mostly clothed with wood; the south-eastern corner of the main body is occupied by the extensive and beautiful policies of Haddo House; other portions are low country finely diversified with undulations; but much of the north-eastern division is reclaimed moor. Gneiss and syenite are the predominant rocks, and limestone occurs in the detached portion, and was formerly worked. The soil on the lands within 1½ mile of either bank of the Ythan is a yellow loam incumbent on gravel or rock; but further back becomes poorer, being chiefly a light black mould or moorband pan; and over a considerable aggregate area is peat moss. About 2500 acres, formerly waste, have been brought into cultivation since the commencement of the present century; and nearly as many acres have been planted with Scotch fir and larch. A preReformation chapel stood at a place still known as Chapelton; and another at Andet, dedicated to St Ninian, has bequeathed the name of Chapel Park to a neighbouring farmhouse. Dr George Cheyne (1671-1742), author of a treatise on the Philosophical Principles of Natural Religion, and Dr Charles Maitland (1668-1748), the introducer of vaccine innoculation into Britain, were natives of Methlick. Haddo House, noticed separately, is the only mansion; and the Earl of Aberdeen is sole proprietor. In 1875 a small portion was given off to the quoad sacra parish of Barthol Chapel. Methlick is in the presbytery of Ellon and the synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £342. The parish church at Methlick village was originally dedicated to St Devenick, and, as last rebuilt in 1866, is a handsome Gothic edifice, containing 894 sittings. There is also a Free church; and three public schools-Cairnorrie, Inverebrie, and Methlick-with respective accommodation for 129, 68, and 210 children, had (1883) an average attendance of 120, 65, and 157, and grants of £99, 7s., £53, 15s., and £144, 1s. 6d. Valuation (1860) £5818, (1884) £10,759, 7s. 4d. Pop. (1801) 1215, (1831) 1439, (1861) 2157, (1871) 2084, (1881) 2l62, of whom 2127 were in the ecclesiastical parish.—Ord. Sur., shs. 87, 86, 1876.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better