Located in Hyndford's Close off Edinburgh's High Street, opposite the Brass Rubbing Centre and John Knox's House is the Museum of Childhood, which has been described as "the noisiest museum in the world". Its collection includes historic games and toys, including dolls and teddy bears, from many countries. Displays illustrate pastimes and street games, together with the dress, health, upbringing and education of children.
The Museum of Childhood was the initiative of Edinburgh Councillor Patrick Murray and was the first world-wide to specialise in children and the history of childhood. Councillor Murray personally collected toys, dolls and comics and oversaw the opening of the Museum, then located in Lady Stair's House off the Lawnmarket in 1955. It moved to its present location in 1966 and was extended in 1986 and now comprises five galleries. The museum continues to be run by the City of Edinburgh Council and attracts more than 250,000 visitors each year.