An uninhabited island that in the Firth of Lorn, Argyll and Bute, Insh Island rises to 69m (226 feet) a mile (1.5 km) northeast of Ellenabeich in SW Seil. It is separated from the aforementioned by a channel known as the Sound of Insh. The island maintained a small population until the late 19th century. Recorded on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map (1875) as Eilean nan Caorach (Sheep Island), Groome suggest this was an error and that its correct name is Inis-Capul (Mare Island). By 1900, the Ordnance Survey were recording it as Insh Island.