The district of Newington lies 1½ miles (2.5 km) south of central Edinburgh, between Dalkeith Road in the east and Causewayside / Mayfield Road in the west. The district of the Grange lies to the west, Prestonfield to the east and Liberton to the south. Newington lies on a south-facing slope and its character differs on either side of Salisbury Road / Place. To the north are shopping streets with Victorian flats above; to the south a leafy suburb, characterised by large villas.
Development began when the noted Edinburgh surgeon, Dr Benjamin Bell (1749 - 1806), acquired the estates and built Newington House in 1805. Newington House lay on the south side of Blacket Avenue. In 1907 it became home to John George Bartholomew (1860 - 1920) of the famous map-making firm and, from 1915, was used the Scottish National Institute for the War Blinded. Newington House fell into disrepair and was demolished in 1966, replaced by student flats owned by the University of Edinburgh. After Bell's death, the area around his house was developed by building Georgian town-houses and exclusivity was maintained by gates which were locked each evening. Development continued until the late 1880s in the form of large Georgian and Victorian detached and semi-detached houses, many of which have been divided into flats in the later 20th Century. Much of the area is protected through designation as a Conservation Area and Newington benefits from several strong community associations.
Newington once had a station, which opened in 1884 but closed in 1962, although the Southern District Railway continues as a goods line. Several schemes have been proposed for re-opening it to passenger traffic but have yet to come to fruition.
Notable residents of the district were publishers William Blackwood (1776 - 1834) and Thomas Nelson (1780 - 1861), along with his sons William and Thomas, infamous surgeon Dr. Robert Knox (1791 - 1862) and photographer David Hill (1802-70). Newington Cemetery lies in the southeast corner of the district. Newington has strong connections with Edinburgh's Jewish community, their synagogue having always been in the vicinity. The present synagogue was built on Salisbury Place in 1931.