Located on Ardnamurchan Point, the westernmost point of the Ardnamurchan peninsula and of the British mainland, is the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse. Facing out towards the island of Coll, the 24-mile (39-km) range of the light gives a navigation aid to ships in the southern stretches of the Minch. The 35m (115-foot) grey tower was completed in 1849 having been three years in construction using granite brought from the island of Mull and supervised by engineer Alan Stevenson (1807-65).
The lighthouse, keepers' cottages and foghorn were all A-listed in 1971. The light was automated in 1988 and is remotely monitored by the Northern Lighthouse Board in Edinburgh. The ancillary buildings are now owned by the Ardnamurchan Lighthouse Trust and operated as a visitor centre.