Architect. Wilson rose to become one of Glasgow's great 19th C. architects. Working under David Hamilton (1768 - 1843), he helped in the conversion of the Cunningham Mansion to the Royal Exchange, now the Gallery of Modern Art. After leaving Hamilton's tutelage in 1837, Wilson worked on many projects throughout the city. He helped create the style for many of the buildings which surround Kelvingrove Park, both Park Terrace and Park Circus were designed by Wilson. His most notable creation was the Duke Street Cotton Mill in 1849, a building which still exists today as the Great Eastern Hotel. Wilson died in 1863 and he was buried in the Southern Necropolis, for which he designed the entrance archway.