A location in Stirling Council Area, Lower Polmaise lies on a bend of the River Forth immediately to the north of Fallin and 2½ miles (4 km) east of Stirling. Polmaise House (also known as Old Polmaise), a property of the Murray family, was built here in 1691 but demolished just after World War II. To the northeast, within a meander of the river was a landfill site, which once received more than 90% of Stirling Council's household and commercial waste but closed in 2004. It has subsequently been remediated but the leachate will require to be treated until c.2030. A waste transfer and recycling station remain.