A village in Perth and Kinross, Scone lies to the east of the River Tay, 2 miles (3 km) northeast of Perth. Known as New Scone until 1997, it was built as a planned village by the Earl of Mansfield in 1805, replacing Old Scone which had grown up in the vicinity of the early monastic buildings at Scone Palace. Present day Scone Palace, 1¼ miles (2 km) to the west, was built for the Earl of Mansfield in 1802 to a design by William Atkinson. Perth Airport was established nearby in 1934 and at Murrayshall there is an 18-hole golf course. There are several examples of prehistoric standing stones and stone circles in the vicinity. Perth Racecourse is located at Scone Park.