A Midlothian settlement lying a half-mile (1 km) to the northeast of Newtongrange, which forms the northern extension of the settlement of Mayfield, with which it is closely associated. Primarily based on public housing, Easthouses developed in the 1920s to accommodate miners for the nearby Easthouses Colliery, many of whom relocated from the west of Scotland. The colliery opened in 1909. The settlement was significantly extended in the 1950s as the colliery reached its peak, with a workforce of more than 1000 men, in 1965. The coal was sent to the Lady Victoria Colliery in Newtongrange to be processed. Employment has diversified since the closure of the mine in 1969, with many of the residents now commuting to Edinburgh.
The Easthouses Parish Church (1954) is of minor architectural interest.