A small town in Clackmannanshire, situated on high ground between the Forth and Devon valleys, 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest of Alloa. Although an old settlement, Tullibody grew with the development of mining, distilling and textile manufacture during the 19th Century. The old Parish Church of St Mungo dates from the 16th century and the Bridge at Bridgend was built in 1697 by local masons Thomas and Tobias Bauchop. Erected on the site of a tannery business founded in the 18th century by shoemaker Alexander Paterson, the four-storey brick factory of John Tullis & Son Ltd (c.1880) is the largest surviving tannery building in Scotland. Today Tullibody is given over to public and private housing with retailing and distilling the chief economic activities.