A hamlet in Glen Esk, Angus, Tarfside lies on the Water of Tarf near its junction with the River North Esk, 9 miles (14 km) northwest of Edzell. Tarfside is the principal village in the remote parish of Lochlee. An Episcopal church here was built in 1879 by Lord Forbes in memory of the Rev. Alexander Forbes, Bishop of Brechin (1817-75). Today, St. Drostan's Church includes a retreat centre run by the Cathedral in Brechin.
Tarfside has close associations with the Earls of Dalhousie, who are the principal local landowners. The 1st Lord Panmure built a Masonic Hall here in 1821. The Maule Memorial Church was built following the Disruption in the Church of Scotland (1843). While the 1st Lord Panmure was not sympathetic to the Free Church, Fox Maule Ramsay, the 2nd Lord Panmure and 11th Earl of Dalhousie (1801-74) gave the necessary land to his friend and leader of the Free Church Dr. Thomas Guthrie (1803-73). Both men are commemorated in the fine stained glass in the church. Since 1997, following the decline of the local congregation, church services are held only once per month.
On the Hill of Migvie to the west is a cairn, known as the Rowan Tower, which was erected in 1866 by the 11th Earl of Dalhousie as a family memorial.