Now a district of SW Edinburgh, the former village of Slateford grew up at a ford on the Water of Leith 2½ miles (4 km) southwest of the city centre. It is served by a railway station on the Caledonian Railway line to Glasgow, which opened in 1853, and the Corn Exchange and 'new' city markets (1909) are located here. The Water of Leith Conservation Trust Headquarters occupies the former Slateford School. The Slateford Aqueduct, which carries the Union Canal on eight arches (Hugh Baird, 1822), and the Slateford Viaduct, of 14 arches (John Miller, 1842), cross Inglis Green Road just a short distance apart. Inglis Green gains its name from the bleachfield begun here by George Inglis in 1733. The Inglis family built Slateford House c.1770, which is now B-listed.
Prince Charles Edward Stuart (1720-88) stayed at Gray's Mill in September 1745, with his army camped nearby, while he attempted to negotiate the surrender of Edinburgh.
Over the years Slateford has migrated from its centre on the left bank of the Water of Leith along Slateford Road (the A70) towards Gorgie, such that Slateford Medical Centre and the car-free community of Slateford Green lie more than a half-mile (1 km) to the northeast.