A former industrial village of North Lanarkshire, Carnbroe is located 1½ miles (2.5 km) southeast of Coatbridge and a similar distance southwest of Airdrie. It lies above a meander of the North Calder Water, which flows around the village in a steep gorge. Once a collier village, a large iron-works was built here in 1838. Now long gone, the village has grown to occupy that site. The Calder Iron Works, developed in the early 19th century immediately to the north on the opposite bank of the river, closed in 1921. Carnbroe benefits from a primary school.