Click for Bookshop

Parish of Logie Pert

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2020.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Logie Pert
1834-45: Logie Pert

Logie-Pert, a parish of NE Forfarshire, with a post,-office village of its own name, 2 miles W by S of Craigo station, and 4¾ NW of the post town, Montrose. Con,taining also Craigo village and the post office of North Water Bridge (under Laurencekirk), it comprises the ancient parishes of Logie Montrose and Pert united between 1610 and 1615, and constituting respectively its eastern and western divisions. It is bounded NW, N, NE, and E by Fettercairn, Marykirk, and St Cyrus in Kincardineshire, S by Montrose and Dun, and W by Stracathro. Its utmost length, from WNW to ESE, is 5 miles ; its utmost breadth is 27/8 miles; and its area is 5808 acres, of which 682/3 are water. The river North Esk flows 61/8 miles east south eastward along all the Kincardineshire border; and along it the surface de,clines to less than 100 feet above sea level, thence rising to 306 feet at the Hill of Craigo, 366 near Ballochy, and 357 at the Brae of Pert — heights that command a magnificent view of great part of Strathmore, the Howe of Mearns, and the grand range of' the frontier Grampians. There is a fine medicinal spring in Martin's Den ; but good springs are in several other places. Sandstone abounds, but is not much quarried; and limestone was at one time calcined. The soil ranges from light gravelly loam to strong hard clay, a pretty large extent being good sharp medium loam on a mode,rately open subsoil. Fully three fourths of the entire area are in tillage; and plantations cover some 1200 acres. The historian of British India, James Mill (1773 1836), was the son of a Logie Pert shoemaker 'a douce bein body, ' who followed his calling in a humble thatched cottage at North Water Brig; and John Stuart Mill about 1864 paid a visit to his father's birthplace. In the ruined ` Auld Kirk of Pert ' close by, George Beattie makes John o' Arnha' see ` unco sights.' Nearly a mile to the W of Craigo House are three remarkable tumuli, the Laws of Craigo, two of which, being opened, were found to contain five human skeletons of extraordinary size. Mansions, noticed separately, are Craigo and Gallery; and the property is divided among three. Logie-Pert is in the presbytery of Brechin and the synod of Angus and Mearns; the living is worth £293. The old church of Logie, like that of Pert, still stands in ruins by the North Esk's bank. The present parish church was built in 1840, and contains 700 sittings. There is also a Free church; and two public schools, Craigo Works and Logie-Pert, with respective accommodation for 158 and 96 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 69 and 61, and grants of £48, 4s. and £51, 19s. Valuation (1857) £6292, (1884) £8353, 3s., plus £1517 for railway. Pop. (1801) 908, (1841) 1560, (1861) 1483, (1871) 1251, (1881) 995.—Ord. Sur., sh. 57, 1868.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better