Parish of Dun

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2020.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Dun
1834-45: Dun

Dun, a parish of NE Forfarshire, containing, towards its south-western corner, Bridge of Dun Junction on the main line of the Caledonian, 4 miles E by S of Brechin, 15½ ENE of Forfar, and 5¾ (3 ¼ by road) W by N of Montrose, under which it has a post and railway telegraph office. Bounded N by Logiepert, NE by Montrose, SE by Montrose Basin, S by the river South Esk, dividing it from Maryton, SW by Brechin, and NW by Stracathro, the parish has an utmost length from E to W of 3½ miles, an utmost width from N to S of 2¾ miles, and an area of 6030 acres, of which 1586 2/3 are foreshore and 137½ water. Montrose Basin, over all its connection with the parish, is alternately an ornament and an eyesore-at high-tide a beautiful lagoon, but at ebb a dismal expanse of black and slimy silt. The South Esk, along all the southern border, is a fine stream, abounding with salmon and sea-trout, and it is crossed at Bridge of Dun by a handsome three-arched bridge, built in 1787. A loch called Dun's Dish (4 ½ X 1½ furl.) lies at an altitude of 242 feet in the north-western corner, and sends off a burn to the South Esk. The land along the river and the basin is low, flat, and protected by embankments, thence rises gently to the centre of the parish, and thence to the western and north-western borders is somewhat tabular, attaining 230 feet above sea-level near Balnillo, 202 near Dun House, 207 near Glenskinno, 279 in Dun Wood, and 290 near Damside. The soil, on the low flat ground, is a fertile clayey loam; on the ascent thence to the centre is partly light and sandy, partly rich blackish mould; and beyond is first of good quality, next wet and miry. About three-fourths of the entire area are in tillage, and nearly one-sixth is under wood. In Dun, in 1839, was born Alexander Hay Jaap (` H. A. Page '), sub-editor of Goo Words since 1865; and John Erskine, the Laird of Dun (1508-91), was born at the family seat of Dun. He was a leader of the Reformation party, and at his house in 1555 John Knox preached almost daily, making many converts. David Erskine, Lord Dun (1670-1755), an eminent lawyer, and a stanch upholder of the Episcopalian non-jurors, was also born at Dun House, which, standing 7 furlongs NNE of Bridge of Dun, is now the seat of Augustus Jn. Wm. Hy. Kennedy-Erskine, Esq. (b. 1866; suc. 1870), owner of 1727 acres in the shire, valued at £3571 per annum. The other chief mansion is Langley Park; and the property is mostly divided among four. Dun is in the presbytery of Brechin and synod of Angus and Mearns; the living is worth £245. The parish church, 9½ furlongs N by W of Bridge of Dun, was built about 1833, and contains 300 sittings; a public school, with accommodation for 140 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 84, and a grant of £77, 2s. Valuation (1882) £7846, 3s. 6d., plus £2024 for railway. Pop. (1801) 680, (1831) 514, (1861) 552, (1871) 565, (1881) 541.—Ord. Sur., sh. 57, 1868.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better