Parish of Dyke and Moy

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885.

This edition is copyright © The Editors of the Gazetteer for Scotland, 2002-2022.

It has taken much time and money to make the six-volumes of Groome's text freely accessible. Please help us continue and develop by making a donation. If only one out of every ten people who view this page gave £5 or $10, the project would be self-sustaining. Sadly less than one in thirty-thousand contribute, so please give what you can.

Use the tabs on the right of this page to see other parts of this entry Arrow

Links to the Historical Statistical Accounts of Scotland are also available:
(Click on the link to the right, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Browse scanned pages")

1791-99: Dyke and Moy
1834-45: Dyke and Moy

Dyke, a village of NW Elginshire, and a parish partly also in Nairnshire. The village stands on the left bank of the Muckle Burn, 1 mile NE of Brodie station on the Highland railway, this being 6 miles E of Nairn and 3½ W by S of the post-town, Forres. On a rising-ground at the N end of the village is the new school, built in 1877 at a cost of over £1500, Elizabethan in style, with belfry and clock-tower.

The parish, containing also the villages of Kintessack and Broom of Moy, comprises the ancient parishes of Dyke and Moy, united to each other in 1618. It is bounded NW and N by the Moray Firth, E by Kinloss and Forres, SE by Edinkillie, S W by Ardclach, and W by Auldearn. Rudely resembling a triangle in outline, with southward apex, it has an utmost length from NNE to SSW of 91/8 miles, an utmost breadth from E to W of 47/8 miles, and an area of 15,464 acres, inclusive of 1496½ acres of foreshore and 257½ of water, but exclusive of 29 acres, to the E of the Findhorn, belonging to Nairnshire (detached). Roughly tracing all the eastern boundary, the Findhorn flows 6½ miles north-north-eastward to its mouth in the Moray Firth, just above which it is joined by the Muckle Burn, winding 10¾ miles north-eastward along the Auldearn border and through the interior. Buckie Loch (5½ x 1¼ furl.) lies close to the coastline, which, 6¾ miles long, is everywhere low, backed by the Culbin Sandhills (99 feet). Inland the surface is mostly low and level, near Loanhead attaining its highest point (134 feet) to the N of the railway, but rising S thereof to 105 feet at Feddan, 184 near Logiebuchany, and 500 at the southern extremity of the parish, near Craigiemore. Crystalline rocks prevail from Sluie to the head of the parish; and Devonian, with some belonging to later formations, in all other parts. The soil throughout the level central district is highly fertile; and elsewhere is of various character. Less than a fifth of the entire area is in tillage, about one-thirteenth is pasture, and the remainder is either waste or woodlands. The latter cover a very large extent, and include some of the finest trees in Scotland. Among those of Brodie, planted between 1650 and 1680, are three ash-trees (the largest 76 feet high, and girthing 21 at 1 foot from the ground), four oaks (do. 71, 16), five beeches (do. 81, 18), a sycamore (69, 127/8), and a Spanish chestnut (41, 15); among those of Darnaway, two ash-trees (the largest, 50 and 24½), five oaks (do. 65, 27¾), and a beech (65, 16¼)-these measurements being taken from tables in Trans. Highl. and Ag. Soc. for 1879-81. Hardmuir, a little WSW of Brodie station, is celebrated as the ' blasted heath, ' now planted, whereon Macbeth met the weird sisters of Forres. Mansions, all noticed separately, are Darnaway Castle, Brodie House, Dalvey, Moy, and Kincorth; and the parish is divided among 11 proprietors, 5 holding each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 1 of between £100 and £500, 2 of from £50 to £100, and 3 of from £20 to £50. Dyke and Moy is in the presbytery of Forres and synod of Moray; the living is worth £400. The parish church, built in 1781, contains 850 sittings. There is also a Free church; and Dyke and Kintessack public schools, with respective accommodation for 220 and 57 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 114 and 36, and grants of £100, 3s. and £31, 6s. Valuation (1881) £9059, of which £45 belonged to the Nairnshire section. Pop. (1801) 1492, (1831) 1451, (1861) 1247, (1871) 1238, (1881) 1236.—Ord. Sur., shs. 84, 94, 1876-78.

An accompanying 19th C. Ordnance Survey map is available, or use the map tab to the right of this page.

Note: This text has been made available using a process of scanning and optical character recognition. Despite manual checking, some typographical errors may remain. Please remember this description dates from the 1880s; names may have changed, administrative divisions will certainly be different and there are known to be occasional errors of fact in the original text, which we have not corrected because we wish to maintain its integrity. This information is provided subject to our standard disclaimer

If you have found this information useful please consider making
a donation to help maintain and improve this resource. More info...

By using our site you agree to accept cookies, which help us serve you better