A geriatric hospital with rehabilitation and physiotherapy services for the elderly and stroke patients, Liberton Hospital is located on Lasswade Road in S Edinburgh, 3 miles (5 km) south southeast of the city centre. It comprises 170 beds in eight wards located in a dramatic little white five-storey tower block, framed in orange, with a further 33 beds in two wards comprising a unit specialising in the management of disabling neurological conditions occupying a former cottage hospital adjacent. Finally there is a modern single-storey range which serves as a day hospital and provides out-patient services. The present hospital was opened on 21st November 1968 by HRH Duchess of Kent. The original cottage hospital is by J.M. Dick Peddie (1853 - 1921) & George Washington Browne (1853 - 1939), in light-coloured sandstone with a red-tiled roof, and dates from 1906. It became part of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Incurables, along with Longmore Hospital in Newington.
The Antarctic explorer William Speirs Bruce died here in 1921.