Located in west-central Dundee on the Perth Road, Dundee became an independent university in 1967 after 70 years as a college of the University of St Andrews. Created in 1881 as the University College, Dundee, it was founded by the Baxter jute barons with what was then a radical mission of pioneering the education of men and women together. In 1954, it was renamed Queen's College and began to gain a degree of independence.
The University merged with the neighbouring Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in 1994 and, in 1996, absorbed the two local nursing colleges to create a single School of Nursing and Midwifery. Clinical medicine is taught on a separate campus at Ninewells Teaching Hospital and Medical School, 3 miles (5 km) to the West. Some nursing and midwifery students are based on a satellite campus at Kirkcaldy. In 2001, the University took over the Dundee campus of the Northern College to create a Faculty of Education & Social Work. Northern College had itself formed as a merger of the former Dundee College of Education and Aberdeen College of Education in 1987. Dundee College of Education had been founded as Dundee Training College in 1906.
Today, the University of Dundee has approximately 11,000 students distributed across five faculties: Medicine and Dentistry, Science and Engineering, Law, Arts and Social Sciences and the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art. The University is known for its teaching of medicine, biology, biochemistry, education, art and design, planning, psychology and English.
Father of town planning Sir Patrick Geddes (1854 - 1932) was Professor of Botany at Dundee. Noted alumni include the inventor of RADAR, Sir Robert Watson-Watt (1892 - 1973), fashion photographer Albert Watson (b.1942), former Secretary General of NATO George Robertson (b.1946) and UK government minister Brian Wilson (b.1948).