The island of Lismore lies in Loch Linnhe, northeast of Mull, in Argyll and Bute Council Area. Covering an area of 2351 ha (5809 acres) and rising to a height of 127m (417 feet) at Barr Mor in the south of the island, Lismore has a population of 192 (2011), although in the mid 19th Century it stood at nearly 1500. This had fallen to 155 by 1961 but has subsequently stabilised; 166 (1971), 129 (1981), 140 (1991) and 146 (2001). Sheltered from the extremes of the Atlantic Ocean, Lismore has an abundance of trees and shrubs that grow. The soil, which is rich, allows for the growth of many plants too. During the 19th century the population survived on the island by quarrying for lime, particularly on the west coast. The ruined remains of their cottages are still visible at Eilann nan Caorach, Port Appin and at Inn Island. Today most of the population is employed in farming or fishing. Places of interest include the ruined remains of Coeffin Castle and Achadun Castle which overlooks Bernera. St Moluag established a monastery on the island in the mid 6th century, since that time the island became known as an ecclesiastical centre. St Moluag's pastoral staff is still held by the Livingstones of Bachuil. John Stuart McCaig, the man responsible for the folly above Oban, was born on Lismore.